Frequently Asked Questions about Renting/Buying a Portable Home



Tiny Home Buying FAQ

Are there any size restrictions on the prefab units?

Yes. The largest standard prefab home we build is 12.5 x 3.0M.
The widest we will go for custom units is 3.6M in width, however, there are limitations for transport and requires a pilot vehicle which is an additional fee.

Can you build our prefab home on our site?

No. All our transportable homes are built within our factory and are complete when delivered to you.  This is normal for prefab homes.

Is transport an additional cost?

Yes. The transport cost is not included in the price of your unit. The cost of delivery is based on the size of the unit, location, and level of difficulty. Occasionally, specialist lifting equipment such as a Hiab crane is required of which the hire cost will be charged to the customer.

Can we make any changes to the interior of the prefab unit?

Yes. We can alter the interior design and layout of your prefab unit, to accommodate your needs. Please talk to us about your requirements.

Do you have portable units that we can view?

Yes we do!  We have a tiny house show home at our South Auckland factory. You can view opening times by clicking here. We often have 2-3 units set up as display homes. We also have a show home in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty which is viewable by appointment.

What are the terms of payment when buying a prefab home?

A $10,000-$20,000 deposit (depending on purchase value) is required prior to building commencement.
Payment in full is required prior to delivery. 


How long will it take to build a transportable house?

Our lead time varies but is generally forecasted to be 8-10 weeks from deposit to delivery.

Can I see my prefab house being built?

We operate a building construction site, so due to WorkSafe  requirements, you are unable to simply turn up on-site. However, if you book an appointment, we are happy to discuss and show you the progress on your transportable home. We can email photo updates if required.

Do I need a building consent?

HouseMe is happy to offer guidance as we are aware that every situation is different. The rules and regulations vary from region to region, and it is up to the individual purchaser to open dialogue with their local council if they wish to go down that avenue. If required, we can manage and submit a Building Consent Application for your factory-built unit, and supply a Council Issued Code of Compliance. This will be done for an additional fee.


How does the power work in the units?

You will be required to engage an electrician and install either a 16 or 32 amp outdoor “caravan” power point. We will supply you with a 15m long caravan type extension lead that will plug into this point, successfully powering the unit. You will be provided with an Electrical Certificate and the Unit will have a Warrant of Electrical Fitness. 

How does the water work in the portable home?

Water supply is as easy as plugging in your garden hose. The unit is fitted with an exterior water inlet valve that your hose will plug in to. Alternatively, you’re welcome to hire a plumber to install a more permanent connection.

We will supply 2 x 9kg LPG Gas ‘Swappa-bottles’ that will power the Rinnai gas Califont for hot water. The unit will come with Gas Certification.

How does the WASTE water work in the prefab units?

Built into the unit is a Macerator Pump which will safely process and liquidise all waste from the unit – Kitchen, Toilet and Shower. The macerator pump uses a fast-rotating cutting blade to break up waste and toilet paper and convert the water and waste into a fine slurry. This is then discharged under pressure through a 25mm alkathene pipe and expelled into your main sewer or septic tank. Most customers temporarily place the pipe into their sewage gully trap, however, it is recommended that you hire a plumber or drain layer to professionally junction it into your existing sewage processing system. For more permanent situations, the unit can be configured to exclude the macerator and include a common
gravity-fed toilet.

Do the units have a stove/oven?

Most of our Units come fitted with a surface mounted electric twin hob. The Deluxe Units have a full-size oven and 4 burner ceramic hob. These can be reconfigured to gas for an additional fee.


What will be in my bathroom?

The bathroom comes with a 900 x 900mm shower unit. There is a standard flush toilet (with macerator pump attached). A vanity unit with basin and under cupboard storage, mirror cabinet, towel ring, toilet roll holder, and an extractor fan. The Deluxe units also incorporate space for a washing machine

Do the prefab units come with window coverings?

Yes. All our prefab units come with thermal drapes on the ranch-slider door & roller blinds supplied on other windows.

Are the transportable units insulated?

Yes, the transportable units are made with EPS panel. This is a 75mm thick 'sandwhich panel' comprised of pre-painted steel skins over a fire retardant treated Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) core. The benefits of this EPS product = WARM, QUIET, STYLISH.
All units have double-glazed windows.

What type of flooring is supplied in the prefab units?

There is commercial grade carpet in the prefab units, and in the wet areas (kitchen and bathroom) industrial strength vinyl floor covering. If you want to make changes please let us know and we can discuss the options available.


Are there colour options and interior styles to choose from?

As a part of the purchasing process, you will choose your exterior paint and joinery colour combination, benchtop, vinyl and carpet style.


Can we add components into the unit and change the specs?

You will have the opportunity to tailor the unit to suit, and slight modifications can be made. Pricing varies from unit to unit. We have an optional extra’s price list that will help you tailor.


Do you do Rent-to-own / Finance?

HouseMe has partnered with an external, third-party provider who specialises in lending for Transportable Homes. An online application can be completed on our website by clicking here

The deposit amount is negotiable. We also have Zero Deposit options available.


Do you offer a Warranty?

Yes - We have a 5-year workmanship guarantee on all of our new builds. Some of the components come with extended manufacturers warranties which we are happy to discuss.


Tiny Home Renting FAQ

Is there a Bond required?

No, there is no bond required for the unit itself.  All we need is your first week’s rent in advance and your transport fee to be paid prior to the delivery of your tiny house. However, there is a $300.00 cleaning bond.  This is refunded to you once the unit is returned in good, clean condition.

How much is the delivery fee?

Auckland transport costs for small transportable studio units are approximately $500 and larger transportable homes are around $1,200. We will quote outside Auckland, just let us know your location. We require payment for Transport (which is the delivery fee plus pre-payment of the collection fee) prior to delivery of your tiny house. Water and wastewater set-up costs are included in the transport fee.

Where are your tiny home rental zone areas?

We deliver studio rentals within the Greater Auckland area, Hamilton, Tauranga, and Wellsford districts.

Areas NOT included; Lower North Island, Northland, Hawkes Bay


What if my site has difficult access?

We can look at your site on Google earth and talk to you regarding access.

How does the power work in the portable homes?

The portable homes come with an “Gasfitting Certificate of Compliance Gas Safety Certificate” and a “Warrant of Electrical Fitness”. We supply a 15m electrical lead that will connect to caravan power plug. You can purchase an additional 3 pin adaptor if required.

How does the water work in the prefab homes?

There is an exterior water inlet valve that you connect to your on-site water supply with a garden hose. The water is heated by a gas califont, and all you need to do is hook up the gas bottle supplied.

How does the WASTE water work in the transportable units?

Attached to the toilet is a saniflow pump system. This pumps takes all waste from the unit and disperses it through a small pipe that connects to your existing services. The waste pipe is 50m long and we connect this for you when your unit is delivered. This set-up cost is included in the transport fee.


Do the units have a stove/oven?



Do the units come with window coverings?

Yes, our tiny homes come with thermal drapes on the ranch-slider door and roller blinds covering the other windows.

Are the tiny homes insulated?

Yes, the tiny houses are made with EPS panel. This is a 75mm thick 'sandwich panel' comprised of pre-painted steel skins over a fire retardant treated Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) core. The benefits of this EPS product = WARM, QUIET, STYLISH


What type of flooring is supplied in the portable house?

There is industrial grade carpet in the portable house, and in the wet areas (kitchen and bathroom) vinyl floor covering.

Is there a minimum rental period?

Yes we have a 6 month minimum rental period for our transportable homes. Once your 6 months is up, you can call us to arrange collection of the tiny home, or continue renting for as long as you require.

What do I need to do when I have finished with my unit?

Please ring or email us when you no longer require the transportable home. Four weeks’ notice is required and from that date we will schedule the collection of your tiny home!